[Bf-docboard] Navigation Plugin

a hettinger oninoshiko at gmail.com
Tue May 9 22:59:32 CEST 2006

On 5/9/06, Ewout Fernhout <chocolade at extrapuur.nl> wrote:

> This faces the problem of inserting a new chapter as I described before...

Yes, it does, but it can be delt with tranpartently to the person using it.

> > If adding tables to the DB isn't a problem (my thoughts had kinda
> > assumed it was for some irrational reason),  then we could make the DB
> > handle it, but my first instinct is "that's overkill."
>
> I really do think this has benefits, because the user doesn't have to
> worry about tags, and you could just have a TOC-management interface
> where you can sort stuff out, then the navigation would be adjusted to
> those settings.

I think some management interface is a forgone conclusion.

> Also, not having tags but just the edit interface is better because
> you could then even edit the page navigation info directly from the
> management tool (without altering the tags within the page - that
> feels a bit hacky).

Really I was considering not showing the tags to the person editing.
(and yes, the I agree it is quite hacky, but would work)

It should be handled via some managemant tool. I think the only thing
I'm not sure on is data represenation. Do we use the tags, make a 2nd
set of tables, or add fields to the current tables (probibly ideal)?
Let me spend some time digging around in my local DB and see where it
looks good (the TOS should be easier from the DB anyway (now that I'm
thinking about it)).