[Bf-docboard] What about a chapter for "3D Concepts & Fundamentals"

Felix Rabe bf-docboard@blender.org
Thu, 02 Jan 2003 19:40:27 +0100

I just merged the two threads again, so there's a skipped reply:  (sorry
for the ugliness - blame Mozilla)

Jason Oppel wrote:
> [...]
content that's better than what's already out there!

That's why I put the verb "to copy" in quotes!  Under copyright law,
only the expression of an idea is protected.  Neither the idea itself
nor mere information (i.e., facts) is protected.  What I meant was to
extract the useful information found in the resources (after all - only
your experiments are more fresh and original than what is available
online) and put these pieces together in a coherent style (which means
rephrasing things or picking up an idea here and there).

Additionally, please note that every creative process that brings an
intellectual result needs intellectual resources to build upon.  But
you're probably better off reading my work "Intellectual Poverty" on
http://mysite.iptic.com/xitnalta/files/ip-2002-12-13.pdf and Lawrence
Lessig's "The Future of Ideas" (http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/future/) if
that kind of reasoning should interest you ;o).

Of course, if there's something really excellent that would fit nicely
in the book as-is, its author should be contacted for permission with a
friendly and encouraging email.  (Such as (a bit informal): "Hey, did
you already know that Blender has gone open source?  We in the Blender
documentation effort would like to incorporate some of your work into
the next (and open) incarnation of the Offial Blender Guide, since what
you wrote is really excellent and would fit in nicely.  Would you like
to help and join us?")

I hope my idea is a bit more clear now.  More comments?  Ideas how to
implement it?

cu,
Felix