[Bf-docboard] What about a chapter for "3D Concepts & Fundamentals"

Bart Veldhuizen bf-docboard@blender.org
02 Jan 2003 08:09:55 +0100

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 17:00, Felix Rabe wrote:
> Jason Oppel wrote:
> > We could also provide links where people could get more information on the various topics covered.
>
> Just an idea:
>
> I think too many Internet links in a printed book (that's how our work
> is likely to end up) might make it a bit more difficult to read.  How
> about making a list of links when starting work on a chapter, and then
> extracting information from then while writing it?  Some links can be
> preserved, of course, especially when they point to complete, external
> projects, or standards that are too big to include in the book, or
> similar things.  (And of course in the bibliography, where appropriate.)
>
> Otherwise, they should be removed after their information is "copied".
>
> What does the rest of you think?  Is this a good way to do it?  Other ideas?

I agree with you that having links in a printed book is not very useful.
That's more something for the PDF or HTML version. But there's nothing
wrong with a link of reference links at the end of each chapter I think.
(Although we may have to distribute them on a CDrom with the printed
version).

Of course, you just can't copy all the content you find on the web into
the manual - better ask for permission first!

Cheers,

Bart

--
Bart Veldhuizen <bart@vrotvrot.com>