[Bf-committers] Credits Page

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 15:53:49 CEST 2014

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 11:37 PM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't remember having issues checking for the author name in the past. Is
> it something you did experience a lot or it's something you're
> exaggerating?

For both the git migration and credits generator I ran into quite a
few issues getting names right, its possible the percentage of
problems is low enough, as to not worry, I just recall there being
more errors then I expected, and it wasn't trivial to get all names
correctly listed.

> I'm still unconvinced asking for some details or greping log
> would give any slowdown in your review pipeline. It easily fits into the
> time spending on the blender compilation.

Not sure, for me the current `arc patch D123`, review & commit is
pretty nice. Having to search for some snippet of data (which might
not exist), is an annoying extra step.

If we could maintain some (`username` --> `author <mail>`) mapping,
I'd not mind so much.

> As a way around which wouldn't violate any privacy, we can add "EMail
> address used for git logs" customfield in the user profile and _require_
> having proper user name and this address to be filled in when submitting
> the patches.
>
> And seriously, if you think the email takes too much time to figure out,
> just use the empty one. I don't see any drawbacks with that, would just
> mean phab wouldn't link those commits to the phab user (which is already
> how it behaves when someone else commits the patch).
>
> So really, is just me who don't see any _real_ issues what's so ever?

To me this is like conventions for commit logs, its some extra step to
get right, and nothing especially hard, yet it adds some overhead &
we'll manage to mess, its prone human-error.

> --
> With best regards, Sergey Sharybin

- Campbell