[Bf-committers] New Developer Meeting minutes

Andrea Weikert andrea at aweikert.de
Sun Jan 17 16:59:40 CET 2010

Hi Erwin,

Erwin Coumans schrieb:
> How about those projectfiles_vc9? A working cmake should make them redundant.

yes, if the projectfiles generated by cmake would work as well as the
manually maintained ones, they would probably be redundant.
However, I have repeatedly tried to generate a working debug build and
so far never got it to a working state. Furthest I got was that the
created blender.exe would crash right at the beginning. I know people
claimed them working on windows, but on further asking, everyone has
only used them for release builds so far.
> It would be great if Andrea Weikert (Elubie) and Benoit could switch
> from manual updating those projectfiles_vc9 (and vc7) to cmake.

I must admit, that I kind of like the manually generated projectfiles,
they are organized a bit better than the cmake generated ones and above
all, they link the correct libraries for debug, which is how I mainly
use them. For just getting a current release build any build system
(scons, cmake) would work too, it's just a well working debug build that
I have so far only achieved with the manually maintained projectfiles.
> That would help cmake in Blender quite a bit I think.

I am not so sure about that, unless someone able and willing to maintain
the cmake files on windows steps up. I do of course believe it's
possible to fix them and have the cmake files generate better
projectfiles than they currently do, but I have neither the time nor the
knowledge currently to be able to help with that, so I would only be
able to report problems and wait for someone to fix. I do have quite a
bit experience with the projectfiles, so it's not a big issue for me to
keep them up-to-date usually, that's why I currently still like to use them.

Cheers,
Andrea