[Bf-committers] New Developer Meeting minutes

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt at internode.on.net
Fri Jan 15 06:41:48 CET 2010

joe wrote:
> I use msvc for source editing and debugging, and scons for compiling.
> Build systems don't have to replace project files, I use scons mostly
> because there's more control that way for what I do.

And if the project files were updated along with the Scons build files -
that is all well & good. Seriously, all I am concerned about is the
capability of extending & debugging Blender in an IDE (namely MSVC &
XCode being a Windows/Mac guy for graphics). CMake has that "by
default", being the way it operates, were Scons to provide the project
files either automatically or through the use of a command line
parameter - I'd be all for it.

The slower build time of Scons, while a niggle, is not the issue. It is
the disconnect between using/editing Scons & using an IDE that is
causing myself and the developers I've talked to (an entire two of them
:P ) grief. The build of a "release" version of Blender is not a daily
thing. Updating the projects to the latest versions from SVN is such a
common task.

--
Regards,

Benjamin Tolputt