[Verse-dev] "Betray" on X11

eskil at obsession.se eskil at obsession.se
Thu Jan 4 21:23:08 CET 2007

Hi

> Out of curiousity, what problems are you having with SDL?

Its a very silly one. There is a event in SDL you get every time the
window size changes. When ever you get that you are required to
restart the video system. This means that you will loose your GL
context. If you loose you GL context you need to re upload all
textures and geometry to the graphics card, and recompile and relink
all shaders. This is supported by my apps but is quite time consuming,
and the objects in the view take a while to rebuild.

This is very annoying especially since if you don't restart the
display it works anyway! With one exception: you now longer read mouse
inputs in the entire window but only on the part of the window that's
the size of the old window size. So you need to reset the entire
graphics system just to reset a few values in SDL that has got nothing
to do with graphics at all! This pissed me off... Also there is always
a problem with dependencies. some people hide DLLs and that makes it
hard to do things like copy a EXE form one place to an other. As I'm
sure you all appreciate how good Blender is when it comes to this. My
apps do produce quite a few files, but none of them should be required
to run the apps.

Cheers