[Verse-dev] The Common Denominator is NURBS

eskil at obsession.se eskil at obsession.se
Thu Apr 26 22:40:19 CEST 2007

Hi

Ive had this discussion a few times but i must say that i hav few
times head it this educated. Yes NURBS do have benefits but to call it
"The Common Denominator" of computer graphics would be wrong. Very few
applications can handle NURBS well, and few people know tha math. The
two major NURBS apps I know of (ALIAS studio, Rhino) was actiualy
written by the same people.

Yes NURBS have some nice featiures, but try expressing something as
simple as a Tetrahedron and you are in trouble. Polygons are the
common denominator (almost all NURBS renderings first convert the
NURBS to polygons), but they do have some limitations by not beeing
curved. So SDS works very nicely as a "Polygions+" by adding this
without changeing the basic and very simple data structure. I find it
a huge feature of SDS that it is compatible with polygons.

An other thing to note is that ive gotten lots of arguments saying:
"Verse should have NURBS", but never: "Verse should have NURBS,
because im implementing verse support in an app that has NURBS."  ;-)

Cheers