[Verse-dev] Yet Another Bug in Verse

Jiří Hnídek jiri.hnidek at tul.cz
Mon Jul 31 11:48:49 CEST 2006

Hi,
OK, once again, first verse-blender had sent and received this:

send: verse_send_g_vertex_delete_real32(node_id = 2 vertex_id = 8 );
send: verse_send_g_vertex_set_xyz_real32(node_id = 2 layer_id = 0
vertex_id = 4294967295 x = 1.000000 y = 1.000000 z = -1.000000 );
receive: verse_send_g_vertex_set_xyz_real32(node_id = 2 layer_id = 0
vertex_id = 8 x = -1.000000 y = 1.000000 z = 1.000000 ); callback = 0x9c79dc
receive: verse_send_g_vertex_delete_real32(node_id = 2 vertex_id = 8 );
callback = 0x9c83c9

1) I sent delete vertex command, because I wanted to delete some vertex
2) I sent create vertex command, because I wanted to create new vertex
3) Verse Server sent me change_position of existing vertex (vertex with
id still wasn't deleted) ... verse-blender can't do more, then verse
blender changed position of existing vertex
4) Verse Server sent me delete command of existing vertex ...
conclusion, old vertex was deleted, but new vertex wasn't created

You probably know, that I do some synchronization between verse data and
blender data ... I have still one "blender" vertex in first verse-blender.

this had received second verse-blender:

receive: verse_send_g_vertex_set_xyz_real32(node_id = 2 layer_id = 0
vertex_id = 8 x = -1.000000 y = 1.000000 z = 1.000000 ); callback = 0x9c79dc
receive: verse_send_g_vertex_delete_real32(node_id = 2 vertex_id = 8 );
callback = 0x9c83c9

but other verse blender and other verse apps doesn't have this vertex
now. This causes inconsistency, which is very confusing for users.

I don't want to send new vertexes or new polygons with some not used
ids. Why? Because some other verse application can create vertex with
same id at the same time and it will cause some inconsistency again.

Conclusion

I will probably do fork of verse (specification, verse server and verse
library) and I will try to create something, that fits me needs and
needs of some other applications. Why? When I have some problem, then
you eskil has suggested only some evil hacks. I don't want to do it in
this way. I don't want to do evil hacks.

Best regards,

Jiri