[Verse-dev] Representing objects with multiple materials

Samuel Siltanen saasilta at cc.hut.fi
Mon Sep 19 08:09:57 CEST 2005

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005, Eskil Steenberg wrote:

>>  Then I have a layer called "material" attached to the geometry
>> node. It has 32-bit unsigned integers representing the material numbers of
>> each polygon.
>
> This is a very inadvicable action. Not just that its the wrong way of
> storing multiple materails, but for other reasons too. The reason is that
> different connections may have diffent node ids. So node id 4 for you may
> be node id 8 for some one else. For samuel an other problem got evident
> when he tried to save his data and load it back up, then all nodes got
> different node ids. So if you ever ned to store a node reference either do
> it by the nodes name or do it where the server is aware that it is a node
> id, like: a link tag, or a method call param. then the server can do the
> translation for you.

Yes, initially I used the node IDs which caused problems, but after Emil
told me that this was not good, I decided to follow the instructions in
<http://verse.blender.org/cms/Multiple_Materials.674.0.html>. Apparently,
my explanation, cited above, was unclear, because this is what I was
referring to. By using the expression "material numbers" I did not mean
the material node IDs, but the link tag approach, which is evident if you
read the whole text I wrote.

Samuel Siltanen
saasilta at cc.hut.fi