[Verse-dev] New in verse-tests: pngload.

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Thu May 26 17:47:07 CEST 2005

Hi.

There's not a whole lot of traffic here these days, I hope that's
because everyone is busy hacking away at new Verse applications,
and that everything is so clear and obvious that there are no
questions to ask. I can dream, right? :)

Anyway, I just wanted to post a little note that I added a client
to upload images in the PNG format to a Verse host. So far it is
very primitive and not at all failsafe, but it does seem to work.

The code is in the verse-tests CVS module, filename "pngload.c".

Usage is like so:

#> ./pngload [-ip=HOST[:PORT]] picture1.png picture2.png ...

You can upload at most 32 PNGs from the same command line. Each
image is uploaded into a separate bitmap node, which will be named
from the filename ("picture1" and "picture2", here). Layers are
named "col_r", "col_g" and "col_b" for the RGB channels, as is
the (still informal) Verse standard. Alpha data, if present, is
uploaded into an "alpha" layer, since Brecht's GIMP plug-in does
that, too.

Not that much more to say, I guess. It's pretty quick:

#> time ./pngload ~/write-streaming.png ~/verse-r5p0.png ~/oil1.png
Loaded "/home/emil/write-streaming.png", 601x526 pixels, format 6
Loaded "/home/emil/verse-r5p0.png", 128x128 pixels, format 2
Loaded "/home/emil/oil1.png", 256x256 pixels, format 6

real    0m4.031s
user    0m2.370s
sys     0m0.012s

I hope someone finds this tool useful, I *know* I will.

Regards,