[Verse-dev] Bitmap problems

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Wed May 4 08:56:50 CEST 2005

Eskil,

There seems to be some kind of issue with bitmap uploading. I'm seeing
this with my (in-development) VML loader client, that uploads a file
previously saved by the vml-saver.

When I upload a bitmap, support for which I added yesterday, the result
has holes in it, what looks like entire tiles that didn't make the up-
load.

Attached is an example of my attempt at an official Verse R5p0 splash
image[*] being mangled by this problem, for reference.

Since this is a repeatable and annoying problem, I'm going to spend
some time on it today to see if I can figure out what's causing it.

Theories include:

1. Incorrect output VML, tiles missing in input file. Not very
   likely, as the loader prints the # of tiles and it looks right.
2. Incorrect loader VML parsing, causing it to miss tiles.
3. Network/queue issues that cause tiles to be lost in transit.
4. Server problem that cause incoming tiles to not be written
   to the in-memory bitmap properly.
5. Problems when subscribing to a bitmap that cause the server
   to not properly emit all tiles.

These are not in any particular order, but show some of the aspects
that I think need investigating. Many of these are rather unlikely
too, since bitmaps have seen at least *some* use earlier. The one
I fear the most is (3), since I'm still relatively helpless when
it comes to problems in those areas.

More later, perhaps.

Regards,

/Emil

[*] Yes, I'm very much kidding. Hopefully the image is still
    illustrative, despite being rather ugly to begin with. :)