[Verse-dev] Verse R4pre

Eskil Steenberg eskil at obsession.se
Fri Sep 17 01:50:48 CEST 2004

Hi

> well i have to say, why implementing a new server if the old one just
> doesn't work? ;-)

Well the server is almost un-touched. its mostly protocol changes, and
the reason for the changes: trying to fix known bugs. Every time we make
changes new bugs will appear, and i guess that is the nature of software
development But i understand your feelings. I will work hard to get this
under control. Right now as we are  in the midst of moving over to R4 Im
as you can understand less interested in fixing bugs in earlier
versions, and that I guess is bad timing.

As you note in your mail a lot of tools that one would want still doesnt
exist and this makes it hard for us to develop verse. We have to release
untested code because the time it takes us to write apps to test it
would just be too great. Knowing this we instead try to be as quick to
find and squash bugs when people encounter them.

I have downloaded your apps and the binarys crash tor me too. I havent
compiled and tested them my self yet. It would take me some time to
compile and debug the code, could you send me some outputs and show me
in what line the code crashes?

Port bugs are strange, In my experience the most usual bugs that appear
when porting is un initialized values (Linux often clears memory) and
stack overflow bugs. (That was the kind of bug Brecht found). But as it
sounds on your description of the problems to be a  an issue if
performance where the sending just stops after a while and you dont get
all your data  sent. So its not a particular place or function that is
broken. This problem is the main reason for the large re-write in R4.

So my question now is would you be interested in porting your app to R4
and see if it works in Linux and works better under Win32?

Im going to release a  fix for Brechts problem tomorrow.

Cheers