[Verse-dev] 3DS loader in Python

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Fri Nov 12 12:12:03 CET 2004

Hello.

I just committed a 3DS file loader for Verse, written in Python,
to the CVS. It's in the verse-tests module, browsable here:

<http://projects.blender.org/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/verse-tests/?root=verse>

and the filename is "load3ds.py". This requires Brecht's bindings,
of course, available here: <http://users.pandora.be/blendix/verse/>.

This is something I wrote rather quickly in the week following the
Blender Conference, mainly to test out Python (which I've never used
before) and also to familiarize myself with Brecht's work.

There are doubtless bugs in this software, but I've found it able to
at least upload some of Thorsten's simpler models (like the battleship
from his game) fairly quickly. I believe there are bugs in Verse that
sometimes break larger models; this is something Eskil needs to look
into.

Comments welcome, as always.

Regards,