[Verse-dev] Using <stdint.h> with Verse?

Emil Brink verse-dev@blender.org
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:43:28 +0100

Hello.

I guess I should could have taken this directly with Eskil, but it's
more fun to use a list, and perhaps people on other platforms have some
input, too.

Would it make sense to remove the typedefs for "uint32" and so on in the
Verse header, and just use the C99-standard uint32_t type (and related
ones for other sizes, of course) defined in <stdint.h> instead?

It seems to me much cleaner, and also finally resolves the (to me) very
annoying issue of where such types should be found, and the tendency of
every project to define their own.

I don't know how common uint32_t and friends are on the various plat-
forms in use, but it would be much cleaner to use them if available, and
define them only if they are not. It's two more characters to type,
but... I don't care, I think the gain from using the standard is easily
worth it.

Thoughts?

/Emil