[Verse-dev] unique owner id's

Emil Brink verse-dev@blender.org
Wed Aug 11 15:04:04 CEST 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The method to check if node is created by the client (owner_id ==
> avatar), doesn't work in all cases.

True.

As a sidenote, it doesn't work for the avatar itself which is kind of
annoying. :/

> If a client gets destroyed, it's node id can be assigned to a new
> client, which would then suddenly get ownership of all the nodes created
> by the other client.

Whoa. That's certainly true, and it's an aspect I haven't given much
thought, personally.

This "assigning" of ownership is passive though, I'm fairly sure the
host doesn't re-send the node_create command for all affected nodes.
As you note (below), perhaps it should.

> I haven't found anything on this in the spec or the server code. I think
> it would be best to assign all nodes created by a destroyed client an
> invalid owner id. Whether that invalid id would be 0 or MAX_UINT32 is up
> to you guys to decide :P.

I agree, and would prefer an ID of zero of course. :) Eskil?