[Universe-feedback] Hanging/Crashing Issues and Ideas

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Thu Nov 30 11:05:15 CET 2006

zenaphex at gmail.com wrote:
> Very cool stuff so far.Too bad I have my issues of crashing and such
> but that's understandable with any software. Couple of issue I would
> like to point out...

Thanks! :) I'm not the primary author of the tools you have been try-
ing (that's Eskil Steenberg, who I Cc:ed this reply to), but I wanted
to provide some feedback anyway.

> 1. Quel Solaar - Loading ./vml/building.vml hangs program. It
> shouldn't take that long to process the file if it can load the
> cube-on-ground.vml in no time.

That's weird. I fear that the binaries you are using might be old
and ... less functional than what we have today. Are you running
programs from the official release page, or something else?

Eskil has updated Windows binaries on his personal web page, at
<http://www.quelsolaar.com/files>, that you might want to try.
This only helps if you do in fact run Windows, of course. If not,
please get back to us.

> 2. Loq Airou - Sometimes doing a Full Crease crashes program.
>
> 3. Connector - Adding a Texture fragment after adding Color, Light,
> Blender and Output hangs program. Reconnecting immediately hangs
> program upon program desktop entry.

Very strange. Again, I think this is due to old binaries, there have
been plenty of fixes in these programs since the last official relase.

> Some ideas after working with it a bit...
>
> 1. Quel Solaar - Possible to have some type of status indicator of VML
> being loaded? I'm fine with a shell-based indicator.

Because of the way Verse works, it is not possible for a client to
know in advance how much content is on a server, so it is not poss-
ible to write a "progress indicator" showing e.g. a percentage or
similar. It would, I guess, be possible to add some kind of "alive-
ness" indicator, that tells you the program is still receiving data
and processing it. I leave further comments to Eskil.

> 2. Loq Airou - Some way to better snap vertexes. How to make a "perfect"
> square?

I think snapping has been improved since the release, and hope Eskil
can provide further detail.

> 3. Loq Airou - Possible to somehow pre-create a object node
> automatically for geometry created.
>
> 4. Connector - Creating new nodes, then clicking on desktop to list
> each node shows new nodes overlapping other nodes. Some kind of
> initial auto-arrangement of new nodes would be helpful.
>
> Sorry to bug ya. ;-) Very promising stuff by the way. I would totally
> use it for my own 3D world creation and letting people explore like
> they would a web page on the internet. Much more immersive experience.

You're not "bugging" us, we appreciate all feedback we can get!

Thanks for getting back to us with your thoughts on the software.

Regards,

/Emil