[Uni-verse] Uni-verse test session 25-27/4 2004

Lauri Savioja las at tml.hut.fi
Mon Apr 30 12:53:39 CEST 2007

Hi Ludde,

Thanks for your report, and thanks for conducting the testing session!

It seems that there is still some work to be completed before we go to
Brussels. Do we know how much time is reserved for the demos there?

I would like to suggest that we leave out the reducer from the
demonstration. It is sad that UVAS and reducer do not co-operate well
enough. This problem should have been realized earlier, and at this
point there is not too much we can do to improve the situation.

I would like to add one clarification related to the way reducer
affects the geometry. The reason for those strange movements of the
floor was the clamping of surfaces to axial planes as we discussed
earlier last week. This modifications was made last week to enhance
the interoperability of UVAS and reducer, but seemingly without any
success.

BTW, is it so that there hasn't been any changes in QuelSolaor since
November, or how could you know that it won't work this time either?

I agree with your other suggestions!

All the best,
	Lauri

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Peter Lunden wrote:

> Uni-verse test session 25-27/4 2004
>
> Present: Peter Lundén, Raine Kajastila, Mattias Claesson and Akos Schreck
>
> The goal of the test session was to establish a stable demo setup. Most
> Uni-verse software has problems with more complex models so we have
> chosen to use a quite simple model, a sightly modified version of
> testscene model, the modifications consists of removing the doors and
> the door frames. The model is found at:
> http://www.pdc.kth.se/~slas/universe/models/testscene_no_doors_3.vml
> <http://www.pdc.kth.se/%7Eslas/universe/models/testscene_no_doors_3.vml>
>
> The model was scaled by a factor 0.4 before uploading it to the server.
>
> Two sound sources where added to the scene, one in north west (north is
> at negative z) corner of the hall and the second in the north end of the
> corridor.
>
> The sound renderer (UVSR) uses a headphone configuration.
>
> We did only test the OSGRenderer because there where serious problems
> with Quelsolaar during the last test session.
>
> Setup 1:
>
> 3DSMax----------------
> OSGRenderer---- verse ------- UVAS -------- UVSR
> Material DB ----------
>
> Setup 2:
>
> 3DSMax----------------
> OSGRenderer ---- verse ---- reducer ---- verse---- UVAS ---- UVSR
>
> Testing with setup 1:
>
> * Navigating from OSGRenderer work, although is still steals the object
> with id 0.
>
> * Scaling geometry in 3DSMax was correctly reflected in the whole chain,
> although OSGRendnerer was reacting very slow and BSP structures in UVAS
> was degenerated after many scalings.
>
> * Creating and moving a sound source from 3DSMax was working.
>
> * Creating and changing materials from 3DSMax was working.
>
> * Errorous transmissions did infrequently occur in UVAS.
>
> * Long delay before the refections of the second sound source gets
> calculated.
>

> Testing with setup 2:
>
> * Reducer affected geometry in strange ways, IE the floor was raised
> about 75 cm.
>
> * The reducer does not reduce in the sense UVAS needs. Number of BSP
> cells in UVAS was 111 in the unreduced model and 225 in the reduced.
>
> * Problems with material handling, the problems was partly fixed during
> the session.
>
> * Material handling problems stop us from testing more complex models.
>
> OSGRendnerer was updated during the session. A new problem occurred
> after updating; part of the geometry was now missing.
>
> Conclusions:
>
> We can get a demo that works at the review but more work need to be done
> on most software components to increase stability and in some cases to
> fix its functionality.
>
> The testscene model can work as a demo model. We propose that the model
> is made more visually impressive by adding objects like furnitures
> (without acoustic materials) and by adjusting the visual materials. We
> [...]

Lauri Savioja
Telecommunications Software and Multimedia Laboratory
Helsinki University of Technology
PO Box 5400, FIN-02015 TKK, Finland
Tel. +358-9-451 3237     Fax +358-9-451 5014