[Uni-verse] Members to the advisory board

Eskil Steenberg eskil at obsession.se
Sun Feb 6 16:38:07 CET 2005

Hi everyone!

>From what i understand the proposed advisory board is different form the
"Verse ARB"

about an "ARB"

After all the problems I have experienced in the OpenGL arb i have come to
the conclusion that it is best to let verse mature as much as possible in
our hands before we hand it over to an ARB. Right now very few people are
qualifyed to be in a verse arb, and thouse who are, already have quite a
lot of input. Within this group there arn't much trouble so to formalize
it feels not so urgent. However, if in the future it becomes clear that we
need one, I think we should set one up.

about an Uni-Verse advisory group.

This is a good idea, but we need to figure out what we want to use them
for. Are they going to steer the entire project, or do we need different
experts for different parts of the project? If we have a unifyed board we
need representation from the folowing fealds:¨

Games
Audio simulation
Animation / visual efects
VR
Architectiual visualization

But some have hinted that this group should work as ambassadors for the
project. And this makes it harder to select them. I know some people that
could be great for promoting verse, but they are busy people who would be
hard to get on a board. (I keep semi regular mail contact with Apples head
graphics evangelist and the product manger for Maya, As you may guess
thees are busy people). Some have suggested that we should have our
advisory board meetings at Siggraph, so that it would be easy for people
to atend.

But then i would rather have us divide the advisory board away form the
task of spreading the word. I think it would be better to book a room at a
hotel or something at siggraph, and invite thees people to a VIP
presentation of our work. This could be done both in 05 and 06. But then
we need to start moving quickly to organize this. I think it would be a
good allocation of funds