[Uni-verse] Functional Specifications

Ton Roosendaal uni-verse@blender.org
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:44:34 +0100

Hi Emil,

I've read the pages from Joel on the specs issue, and find it a
positive and relaxing approach. :-)

Most obviously the _process_ of how the specs are being written is
relevant too. For the Verse project there are two potentially
conflicting viewpoints. One is the vision of the original creators (you
and Eskil for example!) and the other is the expectations and
requirements from the application developers and users (the other
uni-verse partners).

I think it's fair for the original Verse developers to first put down
here a paper what they consider truly the core philosophy and vison of
Verse. I guess this is the information as on
http://www.blender.org/modules/verse/ , but I would like you and Eskil
confirm what exactly you expect us to read and take as starting points.

Based on that, we all should be able to come with a couple of "Miss
Piggy" cases, simple and practical descriptions of an end-user case
describing the results we expect of incorporating verse technology in
the projects we'll work on. The danger here is that we do this at
technical specification level (going over the API specs) since most of
the team members are developers themselves. We all should be able to
either find people to help with it, or put our mind to such end-user
situations.

Main problem (for me) is the timeframe for Uni-Verse, versus one we
have for a next-generation Blender project. I aim at organizing several
workshops and review-groups withing the community worldwide around this
topic, where not only Verse but also other aspects of the future of
Blender will be discussed. These workshops will be done in the period
may until end october (Blender conference Amsterdam).
I'll still have to work out how to cope with that schedule... but don't
mind just preparing for the Uni-verse project the specs based on
smaller scale feedback as an advance on the results of a wider feedback
with the Blender community.

Does this sound like a plan?

-Ton-