SV: [Uni-verse] Status D2.3

martin martin.schlingmann at tii.se
Mon Dec 13 01:50:54 CET 2004

Hi.
I'm working on a new version right now.
It will be delivered during the day tomorrow.
However, since I might not (not clear yet) be able to attend to the
marratech meeting tomorrow, this is what I am doing.

. Actual Deliverables in form of functionality is NOT changed.
. Specifying in more detail the deliverables.
. Describing the dependencies to "necro" game engine.

What I/we are doing is to integrate the verse protocol into a set of
game libraries. This set of libraries are called Necro3D, a game
development SDK (all code is open source and free to use), developed
partly by Interactive Institute and lead by me.
It's actually a set of code I and others have been worked on in earlier
projects and also games, for a while now developed into an engine/sdk.
For the Necro3D SDK, a special set of "Verse libraries" will exist and
replace some of the standard libraries, such as 3D, Network and
animation.
This will deliver the specified functionality/modules + hopefully a
demonstrator (classic FPS style shooter) and more.

In more technical terms, what this means is initially to replace the 3D
visualization and representation and the go on to other parts.
Since the Necro3D code is very OOD and modular, non dependent, means for
example that objects or code outside the 3D lib, never knows anything
about the internals of a 3d model object. So by replacing the 3d lib
with a verse lib (not so easy though, but doable) integrates verse
visually into the entire engine... etc...´

Also, other bonuses are for example that we already have importers for
maya, max, milkshape etc (models, animation etc), if these in short term
will be possible to use with verse is hard to say, but eventually I
hope.
Other things are for example the ai library with path finding etc.

/martin