[tuhopuu-devel] Kesterji is closer, but still no cigar

Patrick tuhopuu-devel@blender.org
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:42:52 -0800

Hi kester, great work so far and the ODE implementation.  It's gotten
considerably better since Norman Linn's good start.  I've been playing
around with it, trying to see if I can make it run my game (Crescent
Dawn) but it still is missing some things.  I'm notsure if you are still
actively working on it or not?  I know you were discouraged that no one
has done anything with it, I totally understand how rough it can be to
go things alone.  Anyway, here are a few things I noticed:

No text?  For some reason the bitmap fonts don't work anymore.  I'm not
sure if this is because of ODE or if it was something that happened in
tupohuu.
Some python functions not affecting physics: It seems like there are
quite a few python functions that don't affect the ODE physics.  The one
that I noticed was object.suspend/restore dynamics.  They apparently
have no effect.  I'm not sure about others, but some possible candidates
are ray.getHitPosition(), ob.getVelocity(),
collision.getHitObjectList().  I'll look into it some more, but the
missing text didn't make much sense to me...

Anyway, I'm looking to help, I'm not sure what I can do (Im a coder, but
very inexperienced).  I'll start by trying to compile tupohuu (again),
its a bit difficult because Im on windows.

I'll probably be asking more questions in the next few weeks on where
things are, and how/where I should contribute.

I do think that kesterji is really only a few updates from being at
least as usable for games as 2.25 is, with some cooler physics :)

Saluk