[spe.pycs.net] SPE 0.7.0.a released with uml viewer

Jeff Grimmett grimmtooth at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 06:08:37 CET 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:36:29 -0800 (PST), www.stani.be
<s_t_a_n_i at yahoo.com> wrote:

> See http://spe.pycs.net for more details... or
> http://spe.pycs.net/pictures/800x600/11.html for a
> screenshot.

Neato and spiffy! Cool, even! Alas, it doesn't work so well on my
Win2K (Py 2.3, wx 2.5) install. A short list of issues:

1) On startup, my formerly open files all loaded, but none of the
windows actually showed the code contained within. When I maximized
the windows, the contents were displayed properly, and if I
de-maximized them again, the contents showed OK. So it looks like an
initial refresh glitch of some sort.

2) UML was a mixed bag. Some files I had opened displayed properly,
some displayed nothing, and at least one had a completely inoperative
UML tab (click on the tab, nothing happens). I can provide example
files as needed, nothing top secret here.

3) After the first session, subsequent sessions started up with the
left-hand pane of the file's splitter window minimized - i.e. the code
browser side was just a 'sliver'.  Resizing, exiting, and restarting
did not help - it was re-slivered.

4) Also, on subsequent startups, the file tabs were completely gone
until I maximized one of the windows.

1, 3, and 4 all seem consistent with refresh handlers or size event
handlers (having had similar problems in my own code, I am painfully
familiar with the symptoms). Unfortunately, I really don't have enough
of a handle on SPE's internals to know where to look, and I don't use
wxGlade anyway.

Suggestion: add the ability to log to a file if debug=1 is passed to
SPE.main(). Python's logging module makes it easy to do both stdout
and file logging with the same debug statements, though it might be
more work than you need right now.

Problems notwithstanding, still a fine effort and I'm looking forward
to the next one. Back to 0.6 for me for the moment though :-)

--
Regards,

    Jeff