[spe.pycs.net] SPE 0.7.0.a released with uml viewer

www.stani.be s_t_a_n_i at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 11:54:54 CET 2004

--- Jeff Grimmett <grimmtooth at gmail.com> wrote:

> A short list of issues:
>
> 1) On startup, my formerly open files all loaded,
> but none of the
> windows actually showed the code contained within.
> When I maximized
> the windows, the contents were displayed properly,
> and if I
> de-maximized them again, the contents showed OK. So
> it looks like an
> initial refresh glitch of some sort.
Strange, because nothing changed on that point from
0.6 to 0.7  Can you check if it is a related maybe to
one of the files. Also did you run SPE in the debug
mode (python spe.py --debug>debug.txt)and checked the
file debug.txt?

> 2) UML was a mixed bag. Some files I had opened
> displayed properly,
> some displayed nothing, and at least one had a
> completely inoperative
> UML tab (click on the tab, nothing happens). I can
> provide example
> files as needed, nothing top secret here.
Well, UML only works for files which contains classes,
as it is a 2d class map. So if you have files which
don't work I definitely would like to receive them by
email, so I can fix it.

> 3) After the first session, subsequent sessions
> started up with the
> left-hand pane of the file's splitter window
> minimized - i.e. the code
> browser side was just a 'sliver'.  Resizing,
> exiting, and restarting
> did not help - it was re-slivered.
Strange. Please delete all files in your user path
'.spe' See Help>About to find out its location.

> 4) Also, on subsequent startups, the file tabs were
> completely gone
> until I maximized one of the windows.
Strange again. Please run SPE in debug mode.

> 1, 3, and 4 all seem consistent with refresh
> handlers or size event
> handlers (having had similar problems in my own
> code, I am painfully
> familiar with the symptoms). Unfortunately, I really
> don't have enough
> of a handle on SPE's internals to know where to
> look, and I don't use
> wxGlade anyway.
You don't need to know wxGlade. To me it looks like
something is wrong with the configuration files of
SPE. Did you uninstall previous version of SPE
properly? Because if some *.pyc files stay around,
this might disturb the upgrading. Anyway I don't have
any of these issues. Some other people do?

> Suggestion: add the ability to log to a file if
> debug=1 is passed to
> SPE.main(). Python's logging module makes it easy to
> do both stdout
> and file logging with the same debug statements,
> though it might be
> more work than you need right now.
Well, first use the builtin SPE debugging mode as it
exists now and than we'll see.

> Problems notwithstanding, still a fine effort and
> I'm looking forward
> to the next one. Back to 0.6 for me for the moment
> though :-)
Again there is no reason why this should work on 0.6
and not on 0.7 Except if 0.6 was not uninstalled
correctly. Otherwise I'm very curious.

Thanks for your report,
Stani