[Soc-2018-dev] YimingWu week 9 report for NPR project

n w xp8110 at live.com
Sat Jul 14 04:16:56 CEST 2018

GSoC Week9

YimingWuHello everyone, here's my week 9 report!

Things have done

  1.  Suprisingly with Darkdefender's Smooth Contour implementation (Here: http://www.labri.fr/perso/pbenard/publications/contours/), the result become a lot more better because the algorithm solves the front/back facing inconsistency problem  using a geometry approach, it uses a modifier to achieve such function, the only problem is that geometry process is slower than expected, and it require subdivision. We are trying to optimize this in the future.

  2.  Plan to use Ramer Doglas Prucker algorithm to simplify the vector curve. Here's a simple discription of this algorithm: http://karthaus.nl/rdp/ As for chainning, The only faster method is to use the same acceleration structure for occlusion test and intersection calculation, but even more memory is required in this method, as it will store more point linkers.

     *   SVG export can then be achieved after this vector data is present.

     *   User will be able to adjust how much simplification they want for the curve.

     *   Vector programs such as Inkscape can reduce the amount of points and create bezier curve from them.

  3.  Fixing the places that got pointed out during the code review.

  4.  Fixed depth offset algorithm, but sometimes still look weird in viewport.

Next week

  1.  Continue fixing errors in code review.

  2.  Implememt vector chainning and reducing.

  3.  user should be able to use reduced vector result to produce line effects like jittering, extending and dot dash.

  4.  Implement svg export. (Hopefully)

Questions

Seems there are not much questions now. If there's any I will ask in IRC when I'm coding.

YimingWu