[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #02 - Normal Editing Tools

Rohan Rathi rohanrathi08 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 19:27:47 CEST 2017

What I did this week:

Added generic structures and functions that will be used to initialize the
loop normals data required for editing tools. Other than that I've added
normal rotation. I'm also close to finishing my second feature, point
normals to target.

Normal Rotation:
Works by pressing R, then N. requires autosmooth to be active. Can be
constrained to either of three axes, can work by accepting num inputs or
accepting inputs from UI. In short, works exactly as standard rotation.
Though of course, the rotation center is local to each vertex.

When I tested it, it did crash once, so definitely needs some bug testing.

What I plan on doing next week:
Finish point normals to target. Its a modal op, may require workflow
changes. Then begin work on Aligning normals. This is a big part, but if
possible I'd like to look back as well and think about how to make lnor
invalidation more cohesive with BMOps and practical.

Links:
My proposal: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:
RohanRathi/GSoC_2017/Proposal
Git branch: https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/