[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #09 - Silhouette Operator

Sebastian Witt W.Basti at gmx.de
Fri Jul 28 20:55:36 CEST 2017

**

  *Weekly Report #09 - Silhouette Operator*

*

The second evaluation is now done. That means only one month left to
finish the Silhouette Operator! Judging by the rate of progress I will
not be able to implement all the features and ideas I had within the
Gsoc timeframe. Nevertheless achieving the number one goal: “Giving the
sculptor the freedom to add new geometry contrary to just shaping the
existing” is definitely within reach.

What has been done this week?

This week i started to finish the geometry generation by adding code to
generate backsides as well. Now generating a silhouette creates a
waterproof shape with the configured settings. I created a small video
to demonstrate the impact of the different settings. You can find it
here for now:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x12a62zf2ynevum/Basic_002_fs.mp4?dl=0

In the second half of the week I started with the next big step:
Connecting new silhouettes to existing geometry.

This poses a challenge for multiple reasons:

  *

    The intersection of both, the silhouette and the old geometry needs
    to be calculated. Depending on the geometry complexity this is
    really computational heavy.

  *

    The transition between the two shapes can be rather complex because
    minimal assumptions can be made about both shapes.

  *

    The topology of the transition is not trivial. Depending on the
    existing topology many different factors need to be taken into
    account. Vertex density, edge/loop flow orientation and varying face
    sizes or even ngons.

For the transition between the two shapes i decided to go with a more
practical than precise approach. CAD-style precision is not the goal of
the tool. Moreso the tool is supposed to give the artist the option to
get a quick basemesh to start sculpting on. -Not a perfect shape.

I was able to get a good start tackling the first challenging factor. I
reduced the intersection problem to a 2D-Polygon point intersection
task. It is fast but gives inaccurate results if the shape in the z-axis
is not primitive as is the case if smoothness is close to 1. But in
practice this is a reasonable drawback to take. If the smoothness factor
is high, the transition between the silhouette and old geometry is
supposed to be blurred and smooth anyways. I finished detecting interior
vertices and I am currently in the process to find the necessary edges
and loops which will later be deleted and/or connected.

Looking forward to the next week,

Sebastian Witt

*