[Soc-2017-dev] Daily Report - Jul 27 - Package Manager

Ellwood Zwovic gandalf3 at blendermonkey.com
Fri Jul 28 10:55:00 CEST 2017

Today I talked with some users testing the package manager in the
renderfarm (blender.stackexchange chat). We discovered some bugs and UX
issues:

* Install dies inelegantly if it runs out of hard drive space (this was
a known TODO, but amazingly, already someone actually happened to fill
their harddrive while installing a package)
* Repository should be displayed with other package metadata, otherwise
there isn't really a way to know where it comes from. (this is done
already in case of multiple versions)
* Error messages could be clearer

I started addressing these, and I got the demonstration video uploaded
(I linked it earlier, but here it is again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_iBVNmeBdM). I also updated the readme,
as the instructions weren't totally clear (and some other parts were out
of date).

Tomorrow: bug fixing and stabilizing, more testing (possibly on other
platforms), and (again), make uninstalling easily reversible.