[Soc-2017-dev] Daily Report - Jul 25 - Package Manager

Ellwood Zwovic gandalf3 at blendermonkey.com
Wed Jul 26 12:05:12 CEST 2017

Today I mostly did code cleanup; I consolidated all the package/file
manipulation code into a subpackage (bpkg). I also started making a demo
video, but I realized I'll have to edit it and add annotations to
explain what is going on, as I don't readily have a way to record sound.

I also talked with meta-androcto in IRC regarding filesystem layout for
addons. It's clear that control over addon organization is desired by
users with large addon collections, for example to keep paid addons
separate. Exactly how to approach this without disrupting UX of normal
users is a matter of some debate, but the approach we settled on for now
is to allow the addon directory to be restructured manually by the user.
This means doing recursive addon discovery from the package manager, and
ensuring updates to addon packages are installed in the same place as
the previous version.

TODO for tomorrow:

Finish demo video
Add undo to uninstall
Make "install" and "uninstall" handle multiple versions, make "update"
uninstall old versions.
Add enabling/disabling to interface.