[Soc-2017-dev] Daily Report - Jul 24 - Package Manager

Ellwood Zwovic gandalf3 at blendermonkey.com
Tue Jul 25 11:22:12 CEST 2017

Today I added more filtering: now installed packages and update-able
packages can be filtered out. I also got the addon to recursively reload
its modules properly, which helps speed up development.

As far as I know, no one has successfully tested it yet. bzztploink
tried in IRC and ran into some strange memory error I couldn't
reproduce, so a confirmation if the code works for more than just me
would be quite welcome :)

Questions:

Should it be possible to have multiple versions of package installed at
once? (but only allow one to be enabled)
I'm planning on disallowing this, but it could be supported if there's a
compelling reason to do so.

In a similar vein, if multiple repositories supply different versions of
the same package, should they be separately install-able? Or treated as
a unit, so the latest version of them all is always the one you get?

Ideasman42:
Sorry I missed you IRC, given the time zones, perhaps it'd be better if
we use email or coordinate when to meet in IRC ahead of time?
Anyway, I wanted to ask how you would recommend approaching progress
display (Moguri referred me to you). As it seems the job system (what
render engines use) is not really currently accessible to python, should
I try exposing it? (is there a reason it's not exposed?)

Plans for tomorrow:

Clean up draw code; further compartmentalize into functions
Move download code into bpkg.
Improve action buttons: Add an update button, make uninstall properly
handle multiple versions.
Make uninstallation undo-able.

Make a short video demoing the functionality so far.