[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #08 - Silhouette Operator

Sebastian Witt W.Basti at gmx.de
Fri Jul 21 18:21:16 CEST 2017

**

    *Weekly Report #08 - Silhouette Operator*

*

The Silhouette Operator slowly takes shape. The basic geometry is almost
finished. A couple of tedious bugs are off the table and development can
accelerate again! Here a small overview what I did this week:

Bugs:

I started off with bug fixing to make everything a little more stable.
These are the bugs i got rid of:

  *

    Jagged lines due to interpolation with negative values

  *

    Division by 0 bug which caused parts to disappear

  *

    T-intersection edge offsets caused holes

  *

    T-intersection orientation was out of order

  *

    Crashing on small strokes

  *

    Invalid z-orientation

I am sure there is still a lot of bugs i don’t even know of yet but
currently i can only identify one which I haven’t fixed yet. (I don’t
know its cause or conditions)

Normals:

The normals are now correctly calculated regardless of the orientation
the stroke is drawn from.

Tools:

I added the settings for the operator to the tool panel in sculpting
mode. Now smoothness, depth and resolution can be set.

Since setting defaults are not loaded when opening older files it
currently only works when working with factory settings or setting
correct values manually.

Undo/Redo:

The last few days of the week i spend on implementing a custom undo node
for the Silhouette operator. Operators within sculpt mode are handled
different and since the silhouette doesn’t really fit into the
mesh/deform workflow i needed to write a custom one.

Undo and Redo now work but aren’t optimized yet and will need to change
when features like connecting to existing geometry and similar are added.

Whats next:

The first thing i will work on next week will be: Completing the shape
and mirroring it, so a closed volume is generated. Maybe after that i
can look into connecting to existing topology.

**

Have a nice weekend,

Sebastian Witt

*