[Soc-2017-dev] Daily Report - Jul 11 - Package Manager

dr. Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at blender.studio
Wed Jul 12 09:39:38 CEST 2017

Hi Ellwood,

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:07:10AM -0700, Ellwood Zwovic wrote:
> Today I added a basic install function. Basic, as in "copy/extract
> the package into the destination directory".

This functionality is already in Blender, and already written in
Python, so you could just copy it into the add-on. If you have spent
8+ hours on this there must be more to tell about it than a single
sentence. What exactly have you done? What are you proud of you got in
there? What did you struggle with? In what way is it different from
what we had before?

> I do have a question:
> Currently the destination directory is just passed to the
> subprocess, however really more than that is needed. The way addons
> are currently installed, each scripts/addon directory is checked for
> duplicates first. As I'd like to do the installation in a subprocess
> to avoid locking blender's UI, all these paths have to be determined
> there somehow. So, would it be reasonable to pass bpy (or just
> bpy.utils.user_resource) to the subprocess? Are there any issues
> with passing bpy around like this?

I would just pass the list of paths to the subprocess. That'll
probably work more reliable; I don't expect the bpy module to be
picklable. Also this keeps the "contract" between Blender and the
subprocess simple.

> Tomorrow I'm planning to add my repository code back in, and if all
> goes well, list the packages from the repositories in the GUI.

Please focus on a single thing and finish the work you've worked on
today first. The installation procedure also needs to be able to
upgrade existing add-ons and perform a rollback when the installation
fails.

--
Sybren A. Stüvel

https://cloud.blender.org/