[Soc-2017-dev] Daily Report - Jul 11 - Package Manager

Ellwood Zwovic gandalf3 at blendermonkey.com
Wed Jul 12 09:07:10 CEST 2017

Hi all,

By request I'm now sending my daily reports to the mailing list.
If it gets to be too much traffic, please let me know.

----

Today I added a basic install function. Basic, as in "copy/extract the
package into the destination directory".

I do have a question:
Currently the destination directory is just passed to the subprocess,
however really more than that is needed. The way addons are currently
installed, each scripts/addon directory is checked for duplicates first.
As I'd like to do the installation in a subprocess to avoid locking
blender's UI, all these paths have to be determined there somehow. So,
would it be reasonable to pass bpy (or just bpy.utils.user_resource) to
the subprocess? Are there any issues with passing bpy around like this?

Tomorrow I'm planning to add my repository code back in, and if all goes
well, list the packages from the repositories in the GUI.

Thanks,
Ellwood