[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #05 - Package Manager

dr. Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at blender.studio
Sun Jul 2 14:13:12 CEST 2017

On Sat, Jul 01, 2017 at 06:57:26AM -0400, Aaron Carlisle wrote:
> I do not think it is that important to be able to cache old versions
> most users will not need to go back to an older version of a
> package, however, they still should be able to install an older
> version in case it is necessary .

I think we should discern different cases:

- An upgrade fails, and the package manager (PM) should roll back to
  the previously installed version. In this case it's enough to move
  the existing package files to a temporary location (for example by
  appending a tilde to the file/dir name). If the install fails, the
  partially-installed files can be erased and the old files can be put
  back. We don't need to maintain the originally downloaded package
  file for this.

- The user wants to have a backup copy of the downloaded package, so
  that it can be installed offline later. This I do think is something
  we may want to add to the list of nice-to-have features if we have
  time at the end of GSoC (or if Gandalf3 wants to develop this
  further after GSoC).

- The user wants to install an older version of a package, that may
  not be available on the server any more. If we want to support this,
  then indeed it may be nice if the package would be still available
  in some local cache. I think this is not a feature we should include
  at this moment in time, though, as it also makes the GUI more
  complex and adds cache directory management functions to the list of
  stuff to build.

We should definitely implement the first use case.

--
Sybren A. Stüvel

https://cloud.blender.org/
https://stuvelfoto.nl/