[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #11 - Silhouette Operator

Sebastian Witt W.Basti at gmx.de
Fri Aug 11 18:45:40 CEST 2017

**

*Weekly Report #11 - Silhouette Operator*

*

Week 11 is now over and the deadline approaches rapidly. With only two
weeks to go, the Silhouette Operator needs to be done soon.

At the end of last week I had multiple issues and problems. Finding
solutions for them was the first thing I did this week.

The mesh problem

In sculpting mode operations manipulate the base mesh structure. Without
Bmesh it is a challenge to edit the topology. After discussing, we came
to the conclusion that it is best to manipulate the mesh via the
CustomData Api. I was able to implement a function which remaps the
customdata arrays and allows the necessary behavior. I only need to
design an undo/redo node to support those changes.

The orthographic matrix

I was able to get the correct projections by first projecting onto an
orthographic plane and then project to 2D.

After solving both problems I continued to work on the intersection
calculation.

Last week i had already implemented a method to calculate the
intersecting parts within the existing mesh. Relying on the result of
this, I designed an algorithm to calculate the intersecting edges of the
silhouette parts.

Even though the algorithm delivers a precise result, it is currently
very slow. I am hoping that i will be able to improve its performance in
a later optimization step.

*The idea* is: Calculate two loops. One loop on the existing mesh and
one loop on the silhouette. Then connect both loops smoothly while still
passing the precise intersection loop.

Today i started to implement a method to calculate the interior and
exterior vertices. In theoryi can easily implement a clipping tool by
just flipping interior and exterior. A later subtractive mode for the
tool will be rather quick to implement.

The Plan is set and I hope I will be able to finish implementing this
feature as soon as possible!

**

Sebastian Witt

*