[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #08 - Package Manager

Ellwood Zwovic gandalf3 at blendermonkey.com
Wed Aug 9 01:08:37 CEST 2017

On 08/08/2017 05:49 AM, dr. Sybren A. Stüvel wrote:
> On 23/07/17 11:17, Ellwood Zwovic wrote:
>> * I'm not sure how best to disable asynchronous operators while they are
>> running. The trick is, I want to allow multiple instances same operator
>> to be run at once, but not with the same parameters. This is so that a
>> user can click install on multiple different packages without waiting
>> for any one to complete, but double-clicking on one will not spawn two
>> install processes.
> I think you can avoid the need to run multiple modal operators for this.
> Just have a queue of items to download, an operator that adds items to
> that queue, and a thread/process/modal operator that keeps downloading
> until the queue is empty.

Sounds good

>> * Putting the package manager addon in a python package puts the addon
>> itself under a subdirectory, so blender won't recognize it when the
>> whole repository is placed in a submodule in scripts/addons. The blender
>> cloud addon also seems to have the same issue, how was this solved there?
> I'm not sure what you mean. The Blender Cloud add-on is just a regular
> Python package that is recognised by Blender.

The addon part of the blender cloud addon is in a subdirectory of the
repository: blender-cloud-addon/blender_cloud. If I want to put that
repository in blender/scripts/addons as a submodule, I end up with
blender/scripts/addons/blender-cloud-addon/blender_cloud/__init__.py,
and blender doesn't seem to pick up on it.

I wanted to put the package manager addon in such a submodule to make
setup easier, but it's not a big deal.