[Soc-2016-dev] Welcome to the Google Summer of Code

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon May 23 10:08:55 CEST 2016

Hi students,

Today is the official start of the GSoC program.
Not every student will be starting right away, and some even already did.

Nevertheless, here are things to do now and to read carefully.

- Connect with the mentor, check with him on the planning
- Update your wiki section with the project proposal and work planning
- Take time to revise the design or proposal and make sure everyone (here!) supports it.
- Do you now have artists/users involved with your project? What will they do?

We also require you to write a Friday end-of-week report.
Use as format for the mail topic the following:

Weekly Report #01, My project title

That way we can all follow progress easily.

You don't have to spend more than 30 minutes on the report. Use wiki for longer reports.
A good weekly reports lists on the RESULTS of your past week's work, and the targets of the next week. I don't accept weekly reports like:

"Spent all week on examining how Blender code works"

Instead you could tackle this as follows:

"Investigated how Blender's event system worked by documenting it in a flow diagram <link>"

We also had students in past weeks reporting things like:

"Tried all week to get feature XYZ to work, but couldn't manage it.

If you really spend a week on 1 thing, break it down in 5 smaller targets and report on each (in your wiki, or by committing code and report in the git logs). If you get stuck, ask for help. Your mentor or IRC will be there for you.

Also: when you start coding commit often! More than once per day is fine. Less than once per week is not.

And finally: please be honest in the reports. If you had an off-week, or no time, or for whatever reason couldn't do what you planned - just say so. We're all human. There's always a new week to do it better.

Have fun,

-Ton-