[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #01, UV-Tools

Phil Gosch phil at saphirestudio.at
Fri May 27 19:15:03 CEST 2016

Hey all, here's my first weekly report for UV-Tools:

What I did this week:

* Read a lot of code, still some areas I'm not familiar with but my
mentor howardt is of great help here. I documented my journey through
uv-related code [1] so others can learn from it too.

* Getting to know Blender git, created the gsoc branch [2], pushing
commits and merging master into it without breaking stuff.

* Implemented a feature [3] to make packing after unwrapping optional,
as requested by users in the blenderartists thread.

* Started implementing the "select shortest path" operator for UVs. It
mainly consists of two parts: Validating the current selection (done)
and finding the shortest path between selected elements (I'm currently
working on this).

* Doing quite a bit of research for Bin-Packing algorithms, a collection
of the papers and reference implementations I'm investigating can be
found here: [4]

* Collected all the various feature ideas/requests from ba, Twitter, IRC
etc. at a wiki page [5]

What I plan on doing next week:

*Finish select shortest path operator
*Look into proper hiding of UV elements
*Study a paper about binpacking my mentor suggested
*Testing, bugfixing and getting to know more of the code

[1] https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:SaphireS/gsoc2016/codedoc
[2] https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/browse/soc-2016-uv_tools/
[3] http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=103636
[4] https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:SaphireS/gsoc2016/notes