[Soc-2016-dev] Hello and a quick status update

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Tue May 3 18:50:54 CEST 2016

On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 02:02:57PM -0300, Sebastian A. Brachi wrote:
> * Installation of addons: currently addons are simply stored in a
> defined path. I always wondered why[1] they are not simply installed
> in dist-packages, like any other libs.

For one, the addons are recognised by their bl_info dict. To obtain
the list of available addons, their code isn't imported & executed,
but it is parsed by Blender without execution. This is easier if they
are in a well-known location, rather than having to search all
possible installation locations that Python has available.

I think that changing this is out of the scope of Peter's GSoC
project.

> * dependency management: another limitation I find in the current
> add-on development process is that to include any dependencies the
> add-on has to include them in the repo itself. Using pip and
> distutils could help solve this. If I remember correctly, 'requests'
> was included in blender because many scripts needed it, but of
> course tat doesn't scale.

It would be very nice if we could have automatic downloading of
packages, for example based on a requirements.txt for each addon.
However, this would change the structure of addons (this wouldn't be
possible with single-file addons, for example).

Currently, for the upcoming Blender Cloud addon, we bundle wheel files
with the addon itself. Those wheels are only loaded if the package
can't be regularly imported by Python. For more details see
https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/BCA/browse/master/

Cheers,
--
Sybren A. Stüvel