[Soc-2016-dev] Hello and a quick status update

Sebastian A. Brachi sebastianbrachi at gmail.com
Mon May 2 19:02:57 CEST 2016

Hi, some quick thoughts from an add-on developer point of view:

* Pip usage: IMO it's a good idea to use it, and have addons point to its
corresponding source (github, pypi, private repo, blender cloud)
* Installation of addons: currently addons are simply stored in a defined
path. I always wondered why[1] they are not simply installed in
dist-packages, like any other libs. One reason might be that addons would
need to use dist-utils, E.g create a setup.py. Allowing to have addons
installed like other Python packages might simplify things for the manager
and dependencies, but not so for casual scripters. However, probably
non-casual scripters won't mind creating a repo like it was a normal Python
package
* dependency management: another limitation I find in the current add-on
development process is that to include any dependencies the add-on has to
include them in the repo itself. Using pip and distutils could help solve
this. If I remember correctly, 'requests' was included in blender because
many scripts needed it, but of course tat doesn't scale.
* add-on discovery: would be nice to define an official place where addons
are distributed from (of it doesn't already exist), like adding a clone of
pypi in the blender cloud

Sebastian (from mobile)

[1] besides the fact that all enabled addons need to be imported at startup