[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #05, Layer Manager (and UI doc!)

Julian Eisel eiseljulian at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 22:14:23 CEST 2016

Hi all,

Seems like I can finally publish my layer manager UI design doc for
feedback -> https://goo.gl/Ijbl38
It should reflect what Ton and me have been discussing, which was a
much bigger picture than what I have expected before. It's not written
specifically for this GSoC, as it touches topics that are out of scope
of this GSoC project.
Please keep in mind that the doc is preliminary and not really
considered 'final'. Especially within the next days some updates may
be given to it.

Here's my report for week #5, as usual, you can also find it on my
wiki page: https://goo.gl/XeYMDx

What I did this week:
* Added support for custom layer properties (either for all layers or
for single layer types).
* Refactored how different layer types are handled.
* Added layer color-set from theme as a object layer property.
* Added support for wireframe/outline color from layer color-set
(screenshot on wiki page).
* Added temporary hack for compatibility with old .blend files.

Next Week:
* Give objects information about the layers they are in.
* Bring back old visibility bits as layer property.
* Fix layer re-ordering with groups.
* Maybe start reducing usage of old system by replacing layer bit
access with API functions from the new system.

Cheers,
- Julian -