[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #02, Cycles Images

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 15:07:11 CEST 2016

Hi,

Surely having native support of half-float OpenEXR is nice (so yo don't
upscale the storage before downscaling it), but you should in fact be able
to put any texture to a half-float storage.

Answering your question: as far as i concerned, half-float on CUDA is a
storage format which you read as full-float in the kernel.

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Thomas Dinges <blender at dingto.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> as usual my report can be found in the wiki, please read it there
> (includes image! :D )
>
> https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:DingTo/GSoC_2016/Weekly_Reports/Week2
>
> = Week 2 =
>
> == What I did this week ==
>
> Unfortunately, I did not get much done this week.
>
> I continued with the half float implementation this week, and made it
> work for CPU and Half OpenEXR images.
>
> == Next week ==
> Finish half floats implementation. I am still ahead of my schedule by
> 1-2 weeks, so I hope it's fine.
>
> == Questions ==
> Regarding half float, not sure how to make CUDA work. There is no
> tex2D<half4>(t, x, y). So how to get 4 channels here? a half pointer
> doesn't seem to work either.
>
> Best regards,
> Thomas

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin