[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #09, Mantaflow Liquids

Sebastián Barschkis sebbas at sebbas.org
Sat Jul 23 01:14:21 CEST 2016

Hello everyone,

my new report is online. As always, you can read it over here in the wiki:

https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Sebbas/GSoC_2016/Reports/Week_9 <https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Sebbas/GSoC_2016/Reports/Week_9>

= Week 9 =

=== What's been done ===

* I implemented the switcher for the viewport mode. It is very similar to the
one in the Elbeem UI and allows switching between 'geometry' and 'render' mode.
It should be useful for liquids but I could also imagine using this for smoke.

* There was an issue with the pointcache: You could only bake an entire
simulation. If stopped in between and then restarted the bake would not resume
where it left off. This is now fixed. I achieved this by caching some of the
liquid data structures from the Mantaflow script. That is, the most recent set
of grids (velocity, pressure, etc.) and particle system is now saved along with
the .bobj.gz mesh files.

=== Next up ===

* Continue hooking up the UI. Earlier I introduced a switcher to control flow
behaviour ('inflow',  'outflow', 'static'). Getting that lined up would be
nice.

* There is a bug with the viewport. In some cases objects are invisible. I will
look into that as well.

=== Questions ===

* No

Best wishes,