[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Update #08, PBVH-painting

Nathan Vollmer bitinat2 at isu.edu
Sun Jul 17 07:06:54 CEST 2016

Hey everyone,

First, sorry for the late update. I've been getting into a bad habit of
waiting to update until saturday afternoon to squeeze things in. I'll post
earlier next week.

This week:
I worked on weight painting a bit more. All the buttons in the "Weight
Tools" menu seem to be working. I took some time to learn how armatures
work in blender, and double checked that everything is in working order.
I took some time to determine what slows weight painting down when painting
dense meshes (around 330,000 faces). Every update, we were copying every
deform vertex struct from every vertex into a dvert_prev array. That array
was used to determine if a vertex had been panted before a 'done' was
called to avoid painting that vertex twice. I'm planning on using an
alternative approach which seems to be much faster from my initial tests.
I got the average blend mode working with weight paint.
I dug some more into how to add a tool to a brush in the blender GUI, but
didn't have much luck. I'm talking to some core devs on how to do this.

Next week:
I have a big problem with my timeline, and I'm actually way ahead schedule.
I'll be talking to my mentor to figure out what potential extras to start
on first. I'm also planning on meeting with a couple of my local blender
users.

-Nate