[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report # 7, PBVH painting

Nathan Vollmer bitinat2 at isu.edu
Sun Jul 10 06:27:16 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

This week
* I had some hardware trouble with my laptop, and had to send it in for
repairs. I'm borrowing a friends laptop in the meantime. It took a little
while to set up another development environment.
* I read up a lot on vertex groups and weight painting code. Initially I
thought weight paint would be much more straight forward than vertex paint
mode, but things actually seem to be the other way around.
* I was able to get weight paint to use PBVH painting.
* I added buttons to the gui for mirror mode and radial mirroring, and I
added support for symmetrical brush actions similar to sculpt and vertex
paint mode.

What I plan on doing next week:
* Although I was able to get weight paint to use the PBVH tree, something's
still slowing down my code. I'd like to check out where that slow down
happens and see if I can speed it up.
* A couple Weight Tools still need implementing, like the mirror button.
* I need to add support for multi-paint mode. I have an idea how I'm going
to do this.

On a side note, my original proposal I planned on adding something next
week called a "Dynamic brush region". Things have changed a bit, and the
idea I originally had doesn't seem like a helpful feature anymore. Instead,
I'd prefer focusing on making weight painting as optimized and as reliable
as possible. Hope that's okay with everyone.

Also, here's a gif of old vs new weight paint mode.
https://twitter.com/NathanVollmer/status/751990951283789825

-Nate V