[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #13, Cycles Images

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Sat Aug 20 20:29:16 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

here my report for week 13:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:DingTo/GSoC_2016/Weekly_Reports/Week13

= Week 13 =

== What I did this week ==

==== Half Float Support ====
* I implemented Half Float support for OpenCL, which seems to work on
AMD cards but not on nvidia ones yet. Needs further fixing. I uploaded a
patch here: https://developer.blender.org/D2157

==== Single Channel Textures ====
* OpenCL now support single channel textures too, so AMD users benefit
from the memory reduction as well. I commited this to master.
(rB9d236ac06c2b)

==== Memory Statistics ====
* At the beginning of the week I created a design task for the memory
statistics. https://developer.blender.org/T49101 After some discussion
there and in IRC, we decided to have a Statistics Editor inside of
Blender, which can be used for all kinds of logs and statistics, not
Cycles exclusive. I started to work on this and committed initial code
for the new editor to my branch. (rBa00890deb70d, rB7e97dd76f8d1)

== Next week ==
I will write the final documentation tomorrow (Sunday) and post it in
the wiki and the mailing list. GSoC comes to an end already, but I will
of course keep working on the memory statistics editor and also look
into MipMaps. I am sorry that July was mostly spend on University exams
but I am fully committed to finish my tasks in the foreseeable future! :)

I want to thank my mentor Ton for the opportunity to work as a GSoC
student again for Blender and Sergey and Brecht for help and code
review. Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Thomas