[Soc-2016-dev] First status update [Cycles Texture System]

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Fri Apr 29 15:07:56 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

here an update for my GSoC - Improving the Cycles Texture System.

* My proposal is in the wiki:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:DingTo/GSoC_2016/Proposal

* I am in contact with my mentor Ton and Cycles developers Sergey and
Brecht about my work.

* Last week I already started to work on Bindless textures. Some
feedback and open questions can be found here:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:DingTo/GSoC_2016/Weekly_Reports/Preparations

* I am in the process of getting a new CUDA GPU (a low end Geforce 7xx
or 9xx card), which I need for testing purposes.

* I am in IRC (#blendercoders and #cycles) regularly and available via
Mail, IRC and Twitter (@dingto).

* Memory feedback in the UI and mipmaps are subjects where feedback from
artists is welcome. I am already in contact with nudelZ in IRC. The
other things are optimizations under the hood.

* As I already have my build system and everything setup, I am available
to help other students if they need help. Just poke me in IRC or via Mail.

Best regards,
Thomas