[Soc-2014-dev] Weekly Report #2 Shape Key Enhancements

Grigory Revzin revzingg at gmail.com
Fri May 30 21:49:05 CEST 2014

Thanks for the profiling tips! Seems like a good place to learn gcc when I
run into some more complicated profiling :)

Regarding the linked shape keys, it seems that they indeed are in read-only
mode... and that is the problem! They are all there, but the user can't
animate them. I guess this is because animating the shapes means updating
their values in the library and as I see Blender doesn't permit such kind
of edits in the linked data? Even if I make a proxy object for an object
with shapes, they aren't animatable unless I make the Mesh local. Will look
into it deeper

Thanks for the comments, Bastien! I'll go through them tomorrow evening

Thanks,
- Grigory

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 10:21 PM, Lukas Tönne <lukas.toenne at gmail.com>
wrote:

> PIL profiling is sufficient when you want to examine just a single
> function. For more complete profiling you could use gprof, which works fine
> with gcc (not sure about clang, think it works there as well). I've been
> using it in combination with a nifty little py tool called gprof2dot [1],
> which turns gprof output into a fancy graphviz image, so following
> convoluted callstacks becomes easier.
>
> [1] https://code.google.com/p/jrfonseca/wiki/Gprof2Dot
>

> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 7:21 PM, Bastien Montagne <montagne29 at wanadoo.fr>
> wrote:
>
>>  Hi Grigory,
>>
>> About profiling, we generally simply use helpers from
>> PIL_time_utildefines.h (in blenlib)…
>>
>> As for lib data, I’m not a great expert in this area, but I think since
>> skeys are just mesh sub-data, it should not be hard to access them in
>> readonly mode? Other coders should know better though, imho.
>>
>> Btw, did you see the comments I put on your proposal?
>> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Revzin (UI topic is still a bit
>> fuzzy…).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bastien
>>

>> On 30/05/2014 17:14, Grigory Revzin wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone
>>
>>  This was an academically tough week, but I've managed to clear the next
>> week for half-time work and two weeks after that for (almost) full time
>> gsoc!
>>
>>  This week:
>> - Still struggling with making editmode mixing work, didn't have time to
>> finish it, but almost there now.
>> - Caught a crash in hashing if an edge didn't have any faces
>>  - From a disussion with an artist a decision was made to implement
>> compression of shape key data on disk save by storing only the vertices
>> that have changed their positions in a given keyblock
>>
>>  Problems:
>> - Shape keys on linked data aren't accessible from the UI and this needs
>> to be sovled. Is this a deep problem that I can add into gsoc targets?
>>  - Is there a standard way to profile Blender code for time?
>>
>>  Thanks,
>> Grigory
>> --
>> Г. Г. Ревзин