[Soc-2014-dev] Weekly Report #05 - Viewport FX III

Jason Wilkins jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 03:30:42 CEST 2014

I agree this is going poorly.

First, I'd like to lay out what I plan to do in order to turn this around.
 I'm going to put in at least 12 hours a day until I have my work from the
previous years in a form that can be merged into master.  This will start
on Tuesday after I've returned from my trip.  I'll be on IRC the entire
time I'm working if anybody wants to talk to me.

We need to review the GHOST refactor I submitted last week.  I have not
gotten any feedback on that.  I've written more code based on that for OSX,
but I'm hesitant to continue with Linux if there are changes the basic
design that need to be made.

Secondly, if you would indulge me, I'd like to explain the reason for this
weeks problems.  I did not say anything because it is personal and due to
my slow start I was feeling like I had ran out of excuses and just needed
to get the work done without sounding like I was making a lot of excuses.
 I'm probably more frustrated than anybody.  If I fail at GSoC, who cares,
it is just money, but I really want this project to succeed.

That said,

My grandmother had a stroke and has been hospitalized.  I made a trip in
order to see her.  I was afraid it might be my last chance.  In my mind I
was imagining you guys shaking your heads and sighing if I told you this so
I just made up my mind to get as much work done as I could.

I thought I'd be able to work just as well, but I was wrong.  I brought my
MacBook thinking I could at least work on the changes to GHOST for OSX, but
I'm not really good at developing on the Mac.  I ended up not getting much
done.

Bottom line?  I'm going home and I'm going to get this work done as quickly
as I can.  If I fail GSoC, fine, I probably deserve it.  I still plan on
finishing this up in one form or another.