[Soc-2014-dev] Weekly Status #04 - Viewport FX III

Jason Wilkins jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 05:01:46 CEST 2014

Since the follow up to report #3 I did on Wednesday I fixed some
inconsistencies in the ghost EGL code and wrote a wiki page to document how
to build Blender with the new GL context options.

Somebody tried to contact me on IRC Thursday but it got scrolled off the
buffer.  Guess I should install a real irc client that keeps all the logs.

Going to be traveling Saturday but I'll be back to work by Monday.

I've done Windows and CMake only.  I hope this vertical spike can be
evaluated.  If there are no problems I can get OSX and Scons.  I will need
to setup a Linux VM but I am pretty sure that will be a time sink.  I'm
hoping these things can be put off until what I have working is approved
and solid to use as a base.

Looking to midterm I'd like to get in place the code required to support
ES.  This isn't to say the goal is ES support, but it is saying that ES
support is close to what we've talked about.  It would eliminate immediate
mode and use programmable shaders for everything.  Doing this one module at
a time is attainable if I can get 2 or 3 done a day depending on the amount
of drawing code (draw_object taking the longest).

This code is already written. It's a matter of cherry picking it and giving
it another coat of polish.

There are some parts that need to be written to make this complete.  The
GLSL code generator might need to be revisited.  I started to convert it,
but I might want to study it further to see if there are any big changes
that it needs going forward.  I could just leave it mostly untouched.

I'm in the grove now so I should be pretty productive :-)